Saturday, February 4, 2017

Asian Adventure - Part 4

Today we answer your questions and talk about ship life.

How do people get their bikes out of the parking lot? We asked the same thing. There is a valet.

Did we use tours/go on our own? Hong Kong, one stop in Thailand and Singapore we did on our own. The rest we did with excursions provided by the ship.

----------------------------------------------------



Cruise life - The Man says if you ever want to feel like a million dollars, cruise. We are blessed that we are not affected by seasickness like many so it is easier to enjoy. In fact we were on the edge of a typhoon, it was pretty rocky and unless we were walking, it didn't bother us (I slept through the roughest night where things fell off tables).

Being on the ship is something you either love or hate. I love it. I never would have thought I would, but I feel in love. I was so terrified the first time we cruised, but I have gotten over it and now would move onto a ship. I would spend my retirement on one!

Lounging outside
Let's talk about a day at sea. [Port days are different as we grab a quick breakfast, head out for the day,  and come back for dinner and maybe the show.]

Sea days for us go like this:
Sleep in
Go for a slow breakfast in the dining room
Go sit and read outside for a few hours
Go for a slow lunch in the dining room
Go sit and read somewhere for a few hours
Go to the gym
Go to the spa and sit and read  (we purchased a pass to the special spa area which is restricted)
Go back to the room to get ready for the evening
Go for cocktails before dinner and listen to lovely music
Cocktail before noon!
Go for a nice dinner in the dining room or a speciality restaurant (14 dinners and only one would I say was just ok, the rest were great)
Go to the show
Maybe go for a night cap/dance (there is a themed dance party every night.

We did do some things to mix up some days. We went to some talks. We played Bingo (Man won $300). We spent some time in the Casio (I am up $140). We played some silly little cruise ship games. We did some shopping.

If you aren't into formal dining, there is a buffet and a pub. Given my serious food allergies, the dining room is my best option. I get to order my food the day before and it is specially prepared. They made me the most amazing gluten free, soy free Chicken Kiev. Seriously it was one of the best things I have ever eaten. Made even better by the fact that since our tour ran late and I missed dinner it was delivered to my room.

Best Kiev

 Your stateroom is cleaned 2 times per day. If you have a nap, your bed will be remade at night. The crew is there to give you the most pleasant experience possible.  In general the service is excellent.

One of the many animals that appeared on our bed!
I read 7 books on our trip. No I didn't pack them all, I only took 3, but the ship has a library.

There are always a lot of activities if you like or there is always a lot of sitting around if you like. You can truly make it the trip you want.

We celebrated 2 holidays on the ship. Christmas in Vietnam (which really didn't feel like it, even with the carolling, fancy dinner and Santa) and New Year's in Thailand. There were 5 different options for New Year's. We picked the deck as it was beautiful out. 13 hours before our family and friends we welcomed 2017!  If you want a relaxing holiday season, I suggest going away

That is what life on the ship was like for us. Next week we will get back to our travels as we visit Thailand.







16 comments:

  1. I just LOVE this post!! I can tell you are one of the lucky ones who is NOT bothered by seasickness! We cruised on our honeymoon and one night we were the only ones at our table of eight. Everybody else was so ill! I did enjoy it, but I have issues with mobility and vertigo now...so it is probably not something I will be doing again anytime soon! Your pictures are so nice and I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I have to admit...the food is AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    ...okay I have to go back and check the previous posts! Have completely missed that you did this trip - what fun!!! ... though I confess cruising is NOT for the YAMster. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think I would like this ships life... there is a lot of food included... and the stuffies on the bed are super great too... think Lee wouldn't be bored when she would come with you for the next tour :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my peeps 200% agree about a cruise. They took their first one in 2005 in Alaska....AND THEY LEFT ME HOME WITH MY SITTER FOR 111111111111111 DAYS. AND I'm proud to say we all gained a few pounds during their cruise. The only complaint mom had on the cruise was the coffee was not hot enough.
    The food was delicious and such service. Their first port was Skagway and oh was mom happy as a clam when she saw a Starbucks. LOL
    I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip. Oh my word you were kissin' cousins with at typhoon The peeps only felt a little swaying one night when they were in the theater at the back of the ship which is where the stabilizers were located. Sounds like Norwegian Lines does it right!
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom and Dad have done a few cruises too and love the experience. It truly is a total package. The best one was two years ago when they treated their three bipeds, spouses, and six grandbipeds to a Disney Cruise. Everyone agreed it was the best vacation ever and the grands are begging Grandad for another one:)

    Woos - Lightning and Misty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like so much fun!! Dz Dad and I have been talking about retiring to a sailboat someday, we used to sail competitively and we really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A day on the ocean with a nice breeze, good food, excellent company and a spectacular view...does it get any better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a cruise person, however, did love the 'ferry' up the coast of Norway, and the river cruise through Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! Hope you took Hailey and Zaphod! The longest boat ride TW has ever been on is the Dayliner from NYC to upstate NY. A couple of her office Christmas pawties were aboard a boat around Manhattan. Glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That looks like a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our pawrents have never been on a cruise. It sure sounds like you had a great time and used your time well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could definitely do a cruise, all I have to do is convince my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cruise sounds very relaxing. Thank you for sharing your adventures- nose licks and love from Moth xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our mom has never been on a cruise and it all sounds very fun and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was on a ship as a kid once and got sea sick. It went away after a good night's sleep though and I was fine in the morning. I wonder if it would affect me as an adult.

    Your cruise sounds amazing! I'll probably never be able to afford a vacation again with all the debt I'm in, but I'd definitely consider it if I ever get to that point again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!