Monday, March 14, 2016

Mischief Monday - Not As Much Fun As You Would Think

Several weekends ago (before the big sickness), I had the bright idea that I would take the 2 dogs alone snowshoeing. I did this before, but that is when we were trying Zaphod off leash (until he showed us we couldn't 100% trust him to stay with us, although he always came back). It was a nice day (-8C/17F   -15C/5F  with the windchill) and I thought it would be a good way for us all to get our exercise. The Man wasn't interested so I set off to try it (in the safety of our yard).

Problem one: I forgot to put Hailey in her harness meaning she was able to really pull.

Problem two: Hailey was so excited to be out there she just wanted to play with Phod and they kept getting tangled around me.

Problem three: When we actually started walking toward the deep snow, it became clear that neither of the dogs were thrilled with this choice of activity.

Problem four: While Hailey was pulling, Phod was trying to get out of the hard work of walking by walking behind me, which meant he kept standing on my snowshoe. It is hard to keep walking with a 70 lb dog on your "foot".

Problem five: They kept stopping in front of me to look around (and I think hope I would turn around) and I kept having to try and coax them to go forward.

Problem six: With all the stopping and starting and them going in front and behind, we kept getting tangled up. We spent more time untangling ourselves then walking.

Overall, none of us had a very good time. We were all thrilled to be back in the house 20 or so minutes later. We were all exhausted. The snow was deep and we did go up and down the hill. I know we will try this again, both on harness. We will likely stay in the yard (because I know we can get home from there). I will see this last adventure as a work in progress! Now that winter is fortunately all most over, it will be something to work on winter 2016-17.

The snow is starting to melt! Spring is on the way!

23 comments:

  1. I finsk Phod had the right idea....if I stand on Mom's shoe she can carry me through this deep snow....good finkings there Phod, clever fella!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phod is a genius... what a smart guy! I'm so sorry that it didn't work like eggs-pected... the idea was great to showshoe with Lee & Phod... like mr. amundsen just you, the snow and the pups...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoyed a few giggles while reading this, I can SEE it ALL just reading your words. when you said stepping on your foot from behind i laughed out loud. we don't need snow shows, but our sweet baby girl was well know for walking on the back of my heels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it sounds like it would have been fun if everyone and everything cooperated. BOL Put it on the list for next winter and keep your paws crossed for Spring!
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds like a lot of fun to me! BWAR HAR HAR I find tangling and tripping the peeps to be the bestest entertainment on a walkie. BOL. I'm snickering about stepping on the shoe.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, Police Commish

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should see what we do to mom BOL
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of snow my friends. Of course if I was there, I would be tangled up with you too having fun playing. Snorts with piggy laughter. XOXO - Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snow snow go away and don't come back for 6 months.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD I don't even understand cold that cold. Lady is a real trooper to want to do training drills in the deep snow and in freezing temperatures. High paw to Lady.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny how everybody is different about snow. I, Chester, make big leaps over it, while Joey dog tends to keep on the path that someone else has made. Our Miss Ginger did the hopping, and Miss Charisma just plowed right through it as if it wasn't there! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luckily spring is on the way!

    Your Dachshund friend,
    Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit - I am so glad to not to have to deal with snow anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminds me of the one and only time I tried to get Bertie to accompany me on a bicycle ride...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hari OM
    ... I got exhausted on your behalf!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That really doesn't sound fun, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMD! that would have been a sight to see.
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Walking on your shoes! Hahahaha yes!! We had that same problem with our dogs! It took them a while to figure out how to follow behind in our steps when we went snowshoing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I guess Hailey and Phod are not sled dogs for the Iditarod. Yep staying in the yard is a good idea ~ if all else fails you can always crawl back to the house and pound on the door, maybe the man would answer the door.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really cracked up mom by saying you knew you could get home from the yard! That is so funny! BUTT probably a good plan too! Anyway, live and learn is what mom tells us. We are leaving in the wheelie house in the morning cuz it snowed today and the week is going to be cool and mom said she is DONE (yes, she said that in capital letters) with being cold (even though we are sultry compared to your cold).

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great Mischief Monday story. There were a lot of lessons learned there.

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of those ideas that sounded good in theory! Hopefully, the dogs were sufficiently tired to sleep when you got in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mom understands your frustration. Lightning tries to walk behind Mom when he sees a bike ahead, but then he just keeps darting back and forth, front to back. Very difficult to make much progress:)

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okays, furst, I thinks it's HILARIOUS that you thinks that 5F is a 'nice day'....HOLY FROZEN MARGARITAS!!! Ma likes the cold, butts WOWSA! That is REALLY cold! (yes, you can tell that she is from California, cause it rarely gets that cold, even in Tahoe!) yikes! Butts, yes, like everyone else, I thinks Phod is GENIUS!! That is SO what I would have done, butts there would have been lots of HBO wordies comin' outta Ma's mouth...hehehehe
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!