Saturday, March 21, 2015

Project Hailey - Walk, Walk, Walk

Thank you all for your experience/thoughts on the invisible fence. I have decided that I don't think this will be the best solution for Hailey. I think her prey drive is too strong and she will take the pain to get the squirrel. If I was worried about Phod wandering away, this type of thing would likely work for him, but he is a different beast.

People also suggested a fence. This would be too complicated and very expensive because our yard is too big and hilly. We could consider putting a dog run in but it would not be attached to the house. We will keep this in mind. In summer we do give her tie out time while we are out, so she gets a little bit of a wander

Maybe spring is coming, we saw a puddle!
Our current solutions, now that the weather is improving, is to give her two walks most days. This week I was able to do this every night because it was March Break, I was home from work by 5:30. Next week, until the summer, I will be back to regular life and I will have to work some evenings, so it may not be possible to get her walk 2 every night. I will do my best. Also, will have to see how my body reacts to all this extra walking! My goal is 4-5 second walks a week.

Hailey is loving these second alone walks. She is a much better walker alone. (In an ideal world I would walk them all separately, but I do not have 1.5 hours in the morning just to walk!) On Thursday, she was so excited that two times she turned to me and did her jump of joy. Last night I could take her for a walk on a different route with the potential of passing lots of dogs (a route I can't handle when I have the two or three of them because I can't keep control if we see other dogs). Being alone is opening her world.

Now I am sure you are all wondering, what about poor Phod. Well, poor Phod can generally be off leash in our yard and all he wants to do is play fetch so he gets lots and lots of running up and down the hill after his frisbee or ball. He is not in need of this walk.


Also, thank you all for your concern about my cut. People were concerned it was infected. The first picture I took was taken immediately after it happened.  Was my first thought, I need to do first aid? No! I am a true blogger and my first thought was need a picture of that for the blog. Once I had the picture I cleaned it out very well. It was only painful for about 24 hours and seems to be healing nicely.



14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I say, the plan is gonna have benefits for mum too isn't it?! I know that without a dog in my life, fitness has dropped dreadfully (even allowing for health deteriorations).

    Hailey is clearly relishing the one-one time, so perhaps even when you feel you are not able to walk her, a similar amount of time spent, just you and she alone in another room say, might be worth trying?... it's just like having toddlers around! Blessings, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. One on one seems to be working and we are pleased for you. Glad the cut is healing. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's my fear too, that Easy would ignore the pain to get something... we fenced the area around our house, but we couldn't do that with our meadow ... that would be too much. So Easy has to stay on the leash while we are there... better safe than sorry. I'm glad it heals up quickly :o) have a great saturday.
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too have a huge back yard but only about half of it is fenced. The boys love being able to run in the fenced area but they think it is a super special treat when they get to run around the unfenced area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the second walks are a good idea for sure. I am glad your cut is healing nicely too!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walks are are good,good to see the cut is healing,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Previous paws Mia didn't really enjoy walkies but I luffs it. The peeps tell me that they get so much pleasure from my walkies 'cos I so obviously enjoy myself and I'm hoping you get the same happy feelings when you're walking happy Hailey
    Your cut looks much better, glad its healing nicely
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual it's the squirrel's fault. We'd be good if there weren't so many cats around.

    We considered the invisible fence, but we have too many kids around and they would have teased the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An extra walk sounds great! I'm glad your cut is okay, too!

    Have you thought about trying any relaxation protocols with Hailey? I've found them to be pretty helpful with Phoenix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, a true blogger gets the photo BOL!! Glad it is healing! We like walks and running up and down the hill!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crikey ....... Everyone benefits, aye?? Walking is such great exercise for peeps. Hayley's feel better and so will you. How good is that????

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think if you can do two walks per day several times per week, that is great! It will be good for both of you. I need to do more walking too, and as soon as our weather breaks I have to come up with a plan like you did. Our Cricket does the most running in the yard, so I do concentrate on walking the other two more, and she just gets an occasional walk. I have never been brave enough to try walking all three at once.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a great plan for Hailey. We have 5 acres of land and only have one acre as our fenced in back yard. Maybe you could just fence in a large area but not all of your property?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ojo's Cousin Lee,

    You are lucky you have such a great person to take you on all those walks. And look - a puddle!! That is not frozen! Hurray!

    Licks,
    Cobi

    Pee Ess Ojo can be challenging too, and the only reason she gets to run outside on her own at our house is because we have a Very Tall Fence. She is the kind of Dog who is with us, and then she is gone. It has taken much work but she is allowed off leash now on many of our Walks, and indeed she is usually quite careful not to lose us (unless there is a Dead Thing to eat, and then she disappears completely and entirely), but if there is a road she will run across it almost always. This is a problem indeed because we live in the City. So our person wants you to know that she understands how hard it can be, and she is glad that your Lady loves you and accepts you for who you are!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!